People at “Oceti Sakowin Camp“, “Sacred Stone“, “Black Hoop”, & “Rosebud/Sicangu” all faced what is known as a “wrongful eviction“. “Eviction“, according to Black’s Law Dictionary, is defined as “Dispossession by process of law ; the act of depriving a person of the possession of lands which he has held, in pursuance of the judgment of a court…. read full definition“.
Landlords, as well as governing agencies, must follow a strict, legally defined procedure, in order to evict someone(s) from a parcel of land. Tenants, or others considered “in possession” of a property can otherwise face devastating property loss &/or have their lives endangered due to sudden displacement when not given ample time to relocate. “Wrongful evictions” are a type of personal injury case.
1. Information About Evictions & Wrongful Eviction Cases:
“Eviction“, Black’s Law Dictionary:
“Dispossession by process of law ; the act of depriving a person of the possession of lands which he has held, in pursuance of the judgment of a court. Technically, the dispossession must be by judgment of law; if otherwise, it is an ouster. The abandonment which one is obliged to make of a thing, in pursuance of a sentence by which he is condemned to do so.“
Landlords & governing agencies must adhere to legally defined procedure in order to evict someone(s) from a parcel of land. Tenants, or others considered in “possession” of a property can otherwise suffer property loss &/or have their lives endangered due to sudden displacement when not given ample time to relocate. “Wrongful evictions” are a type of Personal Injury case.
“Personal Injury“, Black’s Law Dictionary:
Resources to Learn About Wrongful Eviction & Personal Injury Cases:
- Type a testimony regarding your experience. When did you arrive? Why did you come? When & how were you informed that you needed to leave? Did you lose any property as a result of the wrongful eviction? Type as much as you can remember.
- Write an itemized list containing each piece of property you lost that was deprived from you as a result of being wrongfully evicted, & write an approximate price it would cost you to replace each item next to each item on the list if you had to go replace each piece of property. Be honest.
- Download & fill out this FEDERAL TORT FORM SF95. Then contact Distance@WildWillpower.org with EVICTION ASSIGNMENT in all caps in the subject line. Include the dates you were at Sacred Stone Camp & what you saw your role as. What type of work did you perform to contribute to Sacred Stone?
4. Got questions? Contact us &/or Support the Cause
Feel free to contact Distance@WildWillpower.org (use all caps in the subject line to get my attention), & please check out the home page of this website & also our parent organization, www.WIldWillpower.org.
&/or donate via PayPal: